1. Switch to brown rice.
2. Use butter and olive oil instead of hydrogenated shortening and margarine.
3. Substitute healthier sweeteners and drinks for refined sugars and soda then work on cutting back on the frequency of consumption of sweet foods. Substitutes include: honey, Rapadura or Sucanat, stevia, maple syrup & water, juice, fruit smoothies, herbal teas etc.
4. Cut back on white flour and add more fiber to your diet preferably in the form of the freshest whole grain flour you can locate.
5. Make your own soups using fresh vegetables.
6. Make your own salad dressings and mayonnaise.
7. Make your own granola and hot cereals.
8. Sprout seeds and beans for salads.
9. Make your own yogurt.
10. Buy fresh vegetable instead of frozen or canned, whenever possible, and serve a raw salad at least once per day.
Adapted from Rodale's Naturally Great Foods Cookbook c. 1977